blogging by paige & yofred on all things music, plus special content directly linked to our radio show

radio show every thursday, 10 am to 1 pm on WERW

stream live here | call us @ 315-443-1278 | aim sn = werw1570

Tuesday, February 10

Battle of the sessions

I was perusing La Blogotheque last night for new take-away-shows, where they feature artists and bands playing music in public settings (typically walking down a street, etc.), when I came across their in-a-van sessions.

The premise is similar to their take-away-shows in focusing on one band or another and having them play live in an interesting setting (this time it's in a van, go figure). Unfortunately, the intimate-show-on-wheel has already been done by Black Cab Sessions. (the van might be a good look though; the backseat of a black cab tends to be a little small)

A lot of the same musicians have performed sets for both projects. Here are a few battles comparing artists' sessions with BlackCabSessions and La Blogotheque (most from La Blogotheque's take-away-shows just because there are only about six in-van-sessions), and my opinion of which cut is better:

Lykke Li
This swedish indie-pop sweetheart danced onto the scene last year with her debut album Youth Novels. It was one of my favorite albums of 2008, full of perfect pop songs with catchy beats and lyrics.


I love her, but I found the direct eye contact with the camera can be creepy at times. You can also tell she is almost jumping out of her skin to dance, but she's forced to remain in sitting position. Her dancing is so charming! If only you could see it; it adds so much to her performances. But, she's so good, I can't help but like this performance, minus the point when the cameraman turns to the internal television that is tuned to a poker tournament(?).

vs

I almost prefer Lykke Li's Black Cab Session on environment alone; the setting is kind of whack in this cut. Maybe outside some hotels or something? I am partial to this video because it's Dance Dance Dance, one of my favorite tracks, and performed with the help of a group of people (El Perro Del Mar at that!).

Winner: La Blogotheque

Bonus: bon iver w/ lykke li on dance dance dance= better than both of those videos put together
Lykke Li & Bon Iver doing 'Dance Dance Dance' in L.A from Lykke Li on Vimeo.
Fleet Foxes
There's been so much hype about Fleet Foxes, tracing back a couple of years. I finally took the time to snag their album and dedicate ample listening sessions to it, and the verdict is out: I dig it. Their harmonies and just overall relaxed and beautiful composition soothes the soul and eases daily stresses away.


This is a really nice video solely just because it's straight up one-on-one with Robin Pecknold. At the end they talk about how the driving can be bumpy sometimes and how it's hard to keep playing; I've always wondered about that, but never have seen anyone make a mistake (I haven't seen all the videos though).

vs

Fleet Foxes - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo
La Blogotheque continues to blow BlackCabSessions out of the water from a cinematographic standpoint. The shots are creative in subtle ways, from the slight tilt of the camera to the depth-of-field focuses. BlackCabSessions' motto is "one song, one take," which I guess is to be their signature and maybe excuse for lack of creative filming. I'd love to be laying in a grass field of a park and have Fleet Foxes just saunter by and set up shop. The acoustics in the place they do "Blue Ridge Mountain" are just perfect. I can't get over their talent.


Winner: La Blogotheque

Bon Iver (/bawn-e-ver/ not /bon-iver/)
I've got unintended trend going through out this entry; here's another impressive relatively-new musician. Bon Iver released his debut album For Emma, Forever Ago in late 2007, but more like 2008 (aka another artist whom made a name for himself/herself/themselves in 2008 & will continue to deliver us beautiful music). He's incredible; I love his voice. His latest EP Blood Bank dropped late January and left me wishing it was more than just a 4-track EP.

Black Cab Sessions - Bon Iver from Aaron Landry on Vimeo.
1. Marry me. 2. I love that the majority of the video is shot centered on his head with a great view of the street racing away in the background, since the cab is moving. Every time I see videos of him performing this song he gets so into it. Fantastic.

vs

This is one of the few LaBlogotheque projects that I don't really dig the setting. It would be insane to actually be in that small apartment in Paris for that private set, but it doesn't really translate on film; I kind of feel left out, a contrast to the almost exclusivity I encounter while watching other LaBlogotheque videos. That's just probably my jealously getting the best of me. Bon Iver playing Skinny Love by candlelight. Okay, yes, I'm extremely bitter I wasn't invited. Also, I can appreciate people getting into music, but I feel like that one guy in the corner might have been so into it he might have been almost challenging Justin Vernon in singing (just look at the brunette's expression who was sitting on the wall next to the guy).

Winner: BlackCabSessions

La Blogotheque takes the cake, 2-1. Do you know of any sweet, similar music projects floating around the world-wide-web? Share them with us! Leave comments on your thoughts of the videos, or your personal favorites from BlackCabSessions or LaBlogotheque.

No comments:

Post a Comment