blogging by paige & yofred on all things music, plus special content directly linked to our radio show

radio show every thursday, 10 am to 1 pm on WERW

stream live here | call us @ 315-443-1278 | aim sn = werw1570

Saturday, April 18

Live-blogging from FUNK

1:52 am: Back at home from the show at Funk. Sat down with Adam after their set and chatted about their upcoming shows in Boston and NYC. Adam did not get to experience MayFest back in his day, but apparently a bar called Conrad's had "split" day where the interior of the bar would be covered in plastic and drinkers would be encouraged to buy beers, shake them up and spray their friends. The end result: leaving the bar around 1 pm, hammered, wringing your beer-soaked clothes out as you walked down M street passing the entry line that wrapped around the complex, according to Adam. Sounds moist and hazardous-- two adjectives we might be using to describe our MayFest this year if rains.

It was great meeting Rish and Matt, and finally putting a voice to a face in Jesse and Adam's cases. Get back to Boston safe and sound! And come back to Syracuse soon!

The Lights Out + audiocandy

1:01 am: Merit is playing. I've only seen their shows at SPARK hyped before, but I've never seen them live. I'm dead tired and contemplating leaving, but the lead singer is really good. Emo, pop-punk sound, but her voice makes it sound much better than the typical man-squeals of emo bands. I kind of think the style she sings in reminds me a bit of Tegan and Sarah, just saturated with pop & emo.

They're signed to Aux Records, the record label the day-long show was for.

12:47 am: Yo. The Lights Out were so good! I think I was most impressed by the vocals. All the members could hold their own and really harmonize, a rare treat. Adam, who we talked to last Thursday, had crazy stage presence and amazing guitar skills. I feel like their sound could appeal to all ages. I dig them and I think my parents would like it too.

You'd like them if you're a fan of: We Are Scientists, newer Weezer, The Hives
--Paige
{p.s. adam kind of looks like elliott smith. i see it a little bit. yof think it's just the hair.}

I was pretty impressed by The Lights Out. But most of all I was surprised at how young they all looked. It seems like they not that much older than me and Paige. I think they have a lot of potential and if they refined their sound just a little bit they will have the opportunity to earn some national recognition. For a free show I am very impressed and encourage them to keep playing shows, especially local shows at Syracuse where they can receive support from other students.
-- Yofred

Jesse, SU Alum (ID)
L to R: Adam (SU alum, PR), Rish, Matt
Adam
Adam & Rish
Rish
Jesse
12:10 am: The Lights Out are starting their sound check. Me and Yof are probably going to go up for the set. So summary afterwards! + audio + photos

12:05 am: Yofred says the crowd makes him want to be scene. Or trendy. He's wearing black so he could go either way.

12:02 am: "I see high schoolers but every once in a while I see middle schoolers." -Yofred

Honor Bright just finished. Amazed by their following (and how young they are). TRL does wonders. Now for Lights Out!

11:56 pm: "You guys are giving us a heck of a going away present." Only one last song: Home is a Heartache. "If you don't know the words, so just make something up."



11:53 pm: They keep making jokes about their hair. At least they have a sense of humor.

I'm so boosted that this show is completely free. Great to see that the Funk boys still are about the community.

Seeing how this band has such energetic crowd, I wonder if there's a big emo scene in Syracuse. I know there used (maybe still is) a solid punk & metal scene. I think Westcott Community Center still holds some metal shows every so often.




11:49 pm: Hey it's Yofred. I was just at a art show on Clarendon but at Funk now listening to Honor Bright. Listening to them reminds me of high school and the emo shows that i used to go to.

11:41 pm: Opened with "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." They have quite the following. A lot of people singing along. Apparently they played at Vans Warped Tour last year and have played on TRL.

11:38 pm: "I'm a little sick and I'm going to be away for four months so I want you guys to go buck wild tonight. But I don't want you throwing up waffles on me." --Honor Bright



Kind of like a pop-punk, emo sound. We think it sounds like The Starting Line. Maybe a little Boys Night Out?

I haven't been to one of these types of shows in so long. It feels like high school.

11:30 pm: Yofred and I are here at Funk n Waffles for the Aux Records 5th year Anniversary party. Seems to be a lot of Syracuse folks here--young too. Honor Bright and Lights Out Dancing have some merch tables set up. Pretty good turn out though. We're guessing about 50 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment