blogging by paige & yofred on all things music, plus special content directly linked to our radio show

radio show every thursday, 10 am to 1 pm on WERW

stream live here | call us @ 315-443-1278 | aim sn = werw1570

Monday, February 16

Beard me tender

We're about half through February and, although the groundhog did see his shadow, Spring is right around the corner.

I've had my fill of Syracuse's winter. I cannot wait for mornings on the quad with crossword puzzles and coffee or for sunbathing at Green Lakes. Plus, spring months are always more exciting because that's when more artists sign-on or announce their participation in summer festivals.

But, like with anything, you've got to take the good with the bad.

And so I regretfully prepare myself for time when I will have to bid farewell to one of the few things that gets me through these depressing, cold days: the swoon-worthy sight that is the bearded man.

Lumberjack to some, sexy folkster to many, the bearded man makes me weak at the knees. There are various styles to the beard--ranging from the meager 5 o'clock shadow scruff to the almost-feared ZZTop extreme (-->).

I feel I have seen more and more men sporting facial hair, some more ballsy than other (i.e. mustaches, see James McAvoy left). It is hard to dish the credit to any particular person or trend.

Is it an accompanied bonus to the wave of indie folk?

Do men just want to protect their skin from the harsh, dry elements?

Did some girl let the cat out of the bag that we'd like our men to look manly?

Whatever the reason, thank god for it. And thank god so many guys took the hint.

The perfect synergy of eye candy & audio candy

Devendra Banhart <3
Scott Avett <3 of The Avett Brothers
Dan Auerbach <3 of The Black Keys
Justin Vernon <3 of Bon Iver
Ryan Gosling <3 of Dead Man's Bones

1 comment:

  1. well... last year was the year of the beards. this year is gonna be the year of the mustaches (check out brad pitt's!) and every year is the year i won't be able to grow facial hair.

    love, tuan.

    ReplyDelete